In this article, we will review the notes and limitations of Asana -> Planner migration.
Microsoft 365 Group and Plan Creation
1. Now all target Microsoft 365 groups will be created as Public ones during the migration. If the migration is performed to the existing Microsoft 365 group(s), their Privacy setting will not be changed.
2. All Asana Projects – Public to Team or Private – will be migrated as Public Planner Plans. If it is necessary for the Plans to be created as Private ones in Planner, Private Microsoft 365 group(s) for those Plans should be created in the target tenant before the migration, and the corresponding Migration Settings should be selected to create the migrated Plans in the existing Private Microsoft 365 group(s). Alternatively, the group Privacy may be changed as needed after the migration.
3. If the migration is performed to an existing Microsoft 365 group(s), the Planner connection account should be a member or an owner of that group.
4. Mapped users that are Members in the Workspace or Teams for the selected Projects (but are not added to the Project Members) are added as members to the corresponding target Plan and Microsoft 365 group if the ‘Migrate all source Workspace/Team members’ migration option is selected.
5. Maximum of 200 Plans can be created in one Microsoft 365 group. If the ‘Create all Plans in one group’ migration setting is selected for the migration and the total number of Projects to migrate is more than 200, only 200 Projects will be migrated as Plans to a new Microsoft 365 group, and others will fail.
If the ‘Create all Plans in one group’ migration setting is selected and an existing Microsoft 365 group is specified, where there are already some Planner Plans, only that number of Projects will be migrated which will fit the limit of total of 200 Plans in the group together with the existing Plans.
6. Maximum 250 Microsoft 365 groups can be created with a non-admin user account in the Microsoft 365 tenant. Only that number of groups will be created during the migration that will fit the limit of total of 250 groups together with the existing groups previously created by that user.
7. If new Microsoft 365 groups and Planner Plans are created during the migration, the Planner migration account will be set as the group and Plan owner and member.
8. The Planner migration account will be set as the user that has created new Plans and tasks in the Planner (‘Created By’ field) and has been the last user who has updated existing items (‘Last Changed By’ field) during the migration.
Also, the Planner migration account will be set as the user that has completed a task ('Completed By' field). This field can not be updated programmatically and thus it is a Planner API limitation.
9. Creation date & time for Planner Plans and tasks, created during the migration, will be set to the date when the migration was performed.
10. Last Changed time for a task will be set to the time when the migration was performed, and the task was updated.
11. If ‘Create groups using Project names’ or ‘Create groups using source workspace names’ and ‘Create new or merge with existing Plans’ migration settings are selected, and there are existing Plans in Planner that have the same names as the migrated Projects, new Plans will not be created for such Projects, but their data will be merged to the existing Plans with the matching names.
If ‘Create all Plans in one group’ and ‘Create new or merge with existing Plans’ migration settings are selected, and there are existing Plans in the specified Microsoft 365 group that have the same names as the migrated Projects, the data from such Projects will be merged to the existing Plans with the matching names.
13. If the ‘Create new and remove existing Plans before creation’ migration setting is selected, and there are existing Plans with names that match the selected Project names in Planner, such Plans will be removed together with all their tasks before creating new Plans with the same names for the migrated Projects.
1. Asana Subtasks can be migrated to Planner:
- as checklist items
- as regular tasks
By Default Asana Subtasks are migrated as Plan Task Checklist. Migrated related data: Task title and task status (Completed/Not Completed). All other data (assignments, attachments, dates etc.) will not be migrated.
If Subtasks are migrated to a checklist their status (Completed/Not Completed) is defined by the default Completed checkmark, no matter what is selected in the Task Field Mapping for target Progress (Percent Complete) (Type: Number) field.
To migrate Subtasks as regular tasks you need to remove the following field in the Task Field Mapping:
In this case, Asana Subtasks will be migrated as regular tasks to the same bucket below their parent task.
2. Source task dependencies (hierarchy) are not preserved in the target Plan as they are not supported in Planner.
3. If an Asana account is on the Free plan or the trial plan has expired, the custom field values are not available for migration as the custom fields are locked in the Free plan. The existing custom fields from the selected Projects will be available for the task field mapping, but they will be skipped during the migration.
1. Users themselves are not migrated from the source to the target system. Necessary users, whose item assignments need to be migrated, should already exist in the target tenant. The source users should be mapped with the target users in the User Mapping section for the correct assignment migration. Source and target users with different Display Names and accounts can be mapped, it is not required for them to fully match.
2. Maximum of 20 users can be assigned to one task in Planner, other assignments will be skipped due to the limitation.
If there are already any users assigned to an existing task in the target Plan, that is updated during the migration, user assignment from the source item will be added to the task, and the existing assignments will not be removed.
3. Mapped users, assigned to tasks and subtasks, added to the task and subtask Collaborators in the source Projects, Project Owner, and Project Members (both with the Edit and Comment only access) are added as members to the corresponding target Plan and Microsoft 365 group during the migration.
1. Maximum of 10 attachments, Files, and Links in total, can be added to one Plan task. All item attachments will be migrated to the target system, and files from the source item will be added to the item folder on the group SharePoint site. However, only 10 attachments will be added to a task in Planner, and others will be skipped.
2. If there are already any attachments added to an existing task in the target Plan, that is updated during the migration, file and link attachments from the source item will be added to the task up to 10 attachments in total. Other attachments for that task will be skipped.
3. Task comments are migrated to the target tasks as comments posted by the migration account. The original author of a source task comment and its creation date will be specified in the target comment.
1. Maximum of 25 Labels can be added to a Plan in Planner. If there are more than 25 Labels/Tags in the source Project, only the first 25 Labels will be migrated to the target Plan and set to their tasks in correspondence with the source, and others will be skipped.