Data Management in EPM Pulse for Project Online
Data Management allows to perform the following operations:
1. Perform Data Synchronization Read more
- Setup Data Synchronization Schedule
- Trigger synchronization manually
- Update Synchronization Account Read more
2. Set one or multiple SharePoint groups for EPM Pulse Administrators Groups, Authors Groups, and Viewers Groups.
3. Add a new data connection.
4. Edit your data connection information.
5. Delete data connections.
Data connections can be set up or added in three different ways, these ways depend on how you use (install) EPM Pulse.
Here are three scenarios on how to create data connection in EPM Pulse:
1. When you start using EPM Pulse Online and you Sign Up for it for the first time:
1. Sign up from the EPM Pulse Sign Up page available at:
Please find more information on signing up here.
2. Select your Project Management system (Project Online in our case).
3. Specify the PWA Site URL and click Connect to proceed.
4. Press Trust It button in the ‘Do you trust EPM Pulse for Project Online’ window, if you confirm all the permissions.
5. Press Verify button in the Project Web App details section to see if you have all required permissions for EPM Pulse.
6. Click Finish to add this connection to EPM Pulse Online.
7. When the connection is added, please allow EPM Pulse some time to perform the initial synchronization, which normally takes around 10 minutes.
2. When you start using EPM Pulse Online from your Project Online:
1. On the site where you want to add the app, go to Settings → Add an app.
2. Select EPM Pulse for Project Online app.
3. When you are asked whether you want to trust the app, review the Terms & Conditions and the Privacy Statement, and then click Trust It.
4. After you add this app, the app will appear on the Site Contents page.
3. When you have EPM Pulse Online for Project Online installed on your PWA:
1. Open EPM Pulse Online from your PWA.
2. Navigate to Data Management.
3. Select the Add connection option.
4. After creating one more connection, two PWAs will be connected to your EPM Pulse and you will be able to use the data from the PWAs while working with EPM Pulse Online.
Adding another data connection
You can add another connection if your license for EPM Pulse allows that.
Please note: To avoid throttling by Project Online (if data sync fails with 429 error or takes longer than expected) we recommend using separate accounts for each new EPM Pulse Project Online connection. Also, it is recommended to use dedicated service accounts instead of personal accounts. The user account should have the Project Web App license and should be assigned to the PWA Administrators security group and Site Collection Administrators group on the PWA.
To add one more connection to your EPM Pulse select Add new data connection option.
- Select your Project Management System.
- Specify the PWA Site URL and click Connect to proceed.
- Press the Trust it button in the ‘Do you trust EPM Pulse for Project Online’ window if you confirm all the permissions.
- Press the Verify button in the Project Web App details section to see if you have all the required permissions for EPM Pulse.
- Click Finish to add this connection to EPM Pulse Online. When the connection is added, please allow EPM Pulse some time to perform the initial synchronization, which normally takes around 10 minutes.
Editing Data Connection
When the connection is created, you can edit your data connection information if needed. To do that, please click the Manage button.
You can perform the following changes:
- Change the name of the data connection.
- Refresh the account. Please refer to Data Synchronization in EPM Pulse Online article, “Update Synchronization Account” section to find a detailed description of the process.
- Verify permissions. Press the Verify button to see if you have all the required permissions for EPM Pulse.
- Enable/Disable PWA data access permissions.
- Manage SharePoint groups for EPM Pulse.
- Add/Delete synchronized SharePoint lists.
- Change Sync Schedule. Remove or add days of the week or schedule additional data synchronizations to be performed during the day.
Please note: By default EPM Pulse allows scheduling up to 10 syncs for trial licenses and up to 24 syncs for full licenses for one data connection. If you need to extend this limit it is required to send the corresponding request to our Support Team at email@example.com.
- Change contact e-mail.
In case Use PWA data permissions checkbox is checked, EPM Pulse will inherit PWA access permissions. This means that users will be able to see only the projects that are visible to these users in the project center.
Deleting data connection
You can delete data connections if needed. To do this:
- Go to Data Management.
- Click the Delete button.
3. Confirm the deleting of the reports in the confirmation pop-up window.