1. Schedule mode: It is recommended to use the Fixed Duration schedule mode in Project for the web to migrate data as accurately as possible.
2. Summary Tasks data: Is not migrated, calculated automatically based on their sub-tasks (if source summary task has assignments, they will not be added to target summary task, the total effort can be different from source total works).
3. Start date = Start date. Finish Date by default is calculated automatically = Start date + Duration.
If Duration is not mapped or does not exist then the Finish date will be set to the source finish date and duration will be calculated automatically.
If there are no dates in the source:
- if a task has no dates but has works values it will be migrated with today’s date.
- if a task has no dates but has duration it will be migrated with today’s date as start and finish = start+duration (if the duration is not mapped or does not exist then the finish date will be set to source finish date)
- if a task has no dates but has progress it will be migrated with today’s date as start and finish = start+duration (if the duration is not mapped or does not exist then finish date will be set to source finish date)
Tasks dates that are out of project range (Start and Finish):
- If both dates are out of project range, the dates will not be set.
- If one date is out of the project range, the second date will be set to the one that is within the project range.
4. Milestones: Milestones that are in progress (tasks with duration = 0) are migrated as Completed.
5. Dependencies: It is possible to migrate all types of dependencies if the token was generated for the Project for the web connection. If the connection was added without a token, only one dependency type: Finish to Start is supported.
Dates of tasks with dependency can be moved if it is not possible to set the dates as in the source.
Maximum hierarchy level: max 10 levels, if more they will be set to the last level.
6. Weekends: The dates are moved to the next possible date according to the target calendar.
7. Maximum total tasks for a project is 1000: if there are more than 1000 tasks in a project only 1000 will be migrated, and others will be skipped.
8. Maximum total duration for a project is 3650 working days (10 years): If the difference between the earliest source task start date and the latest source task due date is more than 3650 working days then:
- Project Start Date will be set to the date 3650 working days from the Project Finish Date;
- Project Finish Date will be set to the latest source task due date.
9. Maximum duration of each task is 1250 working days: If the source task has (difference between start and due date) > 1250 working days range then target task Start Date will be set to the same as target Task Finish Date.
10. Supported date range for a task is from 1/1/2000 to 12/31/2149: if the source task dates are set to the dates that are out of the supported range then target task dates will be set to:
- if both dates are less than 1/1/2000, dates will not be set;
- if one date is less than 1/1/2000 and the second date > 1/1/2000, both dates will be set to the date > 1/1/2000.
One date tasks: if the source task has only start or Finish date, such task will be migrated with both dates to the target project, the date that is not set in the source task will be the same as the one that is set.
11. Maximum of 25 Labels can be added to a Project in P4W. If there are more than 25 Labels in the source Project, only the first 25 Labels will be migrated to the target Project and set to their tasks in correspondence with the source, and others will be skipped. You can migrate source data to Labels if the Custom Fields and Attachments (PSS) token is provided for Project for the Web connection.
Users themselves are not migrated from the source to the target tenant. Necessary users, whose task assignments need to be migrated, should already exist in the target tenant. The source users should be mapped with the target users in the User Mapping section for the correct assignment migration. Source and target users with different Display Names and accounts can be mapped, it is not required for them to fully match.
Task user assignments will be migrated if the source users are mapped to the corresponding target users. Mapped users, assigned to tasks, will be added:
a) As members of the corresponding target Project, Project Team;
b) Dynamics bookable resource.
c) Workspace and Sheet Owner will be also added to the Office 365 group as owners and members.
d) Sync account will be also added to the Office 365 group as owner and member.
e) Task User assignment who is not a member of workspace or sheet will be assigned to the target task but will not be added to the Office 365 group.
f) Text assignments will be added as local resources.
The maximum total resources for a project is 150: if there are more than 150 unique assignments in one project only 150 assignments will be added and others will be skipped.
Maximum of 20 users can be assigned to one task in Project. If there are more than 20 resources assigned to a task in the source Project, assignments will be added to the task up to 20 resources in total. Other source resource assignments for that task will be skipped.
Microsoft 365 Group and Project Creation
If the migration is performed to an existing Microsoft 365 group(s), the Project connection account should be a member or an owner of that group.
The target Project connection account should be an owner and a member of an existing Private Microsoft 365 group to be able to add members to it during the migration (in case the account is not Global Admin in the target tenant).
If new Microsoft 365 groups are created during the migration, the target Project migration account will be set as the group owner and member.
Maximum of 250 Microsoft 365 groups can be created with a non-admin user account in the Microsoft 365 tenant. Only that number of groups will be created during the migration that will fit the limit of total 250 groups together with the existing groups previously created by that user.
If the ‘Create groups using Sheet names’ migration setting is selected, and there are existing Projects and groups in the target Project that have the same names as the migrated ones, new Projects will not be created, but their data will be merged to the existing Projects with the matching names. If ‘Create all Projects in one group’ and ‘Create new or merge with existing Projects’ migration settings are selected, and there are existing Projects in the specified Microsoft 365 group that have the same names as the migrated ones, the data from such Projects will be merged to the existing Projects with the matching names.
If the ‘Create new and remove existing Projects before creating’ migration setting is selected, and there are existing Projects with names that match the selected source Projects names in the target Project for the web, such target projects will be removed together with all their tasks before creating new Projects with the same names.
All groups will be created as public in the target environment, and the settings of existing groups will remain the same.
All source Workspace/Sheet owners and members (workspace/sheet is shared to) if they are mapped are added to the target M365 group if they are graph users.