Planner -> Project for the web notes and limitations
In this article, we will review the known limitations for MS Planner -> Project for the web migration scenario.
- Maximum total tasks for a project is 500: if there are more than 500 tasks in a plan only 500 will be migrated, others will be skipped.
- Maximum total duration for a project is 3650 working days (10 years): If the difference between the earliest source task start date and the latest source task due date is more than 3650 working days then:
- Project Start Date will be set to the date 3650 working days from the Project Finish Date;
- Project Finish Date will be set to the latest source task due date.
- Tasks dates that are out of project range (Start and Finish):
- If both dates are out of project range, the dates will not be set.
- If one date is out of project range, the second date will be set to the one that is within the project range.
- Maximum duration of each task is 1250 working days: If the source task has (difference between start and due date) > 1250 working days range then target task Start Date will be set to the same as target Task Finish Date.
- Supported date range for a task is from 1/1/2000 to 12/31/2149: if the source task dates are set to the dates that are out of supported range then target task dates will be set to:
- if both dates are less than 1/1/2000, dates will not be set;
- if one date is less than 1/1/2000 and second date > 1/1/2000, both dates will be set to the date > 1/1/2000.
- If task notes have >4000 characters only the first 4000 will be migrated to Notes, other characters will be trimmed.
- 1 date tasks: if the source task in the plan has only start or due date, such task will be migrated with both dates to the target project, the date that is not set in the source task will be the same as the one that is set.
- In case there are Plans in the source tenant that have absolutely the same names and you need to perform their re-migration, to have such Plans correctly migrated we recommend selecting the ‘Create new and remove existing Projects before creating’ Project Creation mode and using the same source plans set and number as during the first migration, otherwise data from such plans can be merged.
- Same Bucket names: all tasks from such buckets will be migrated to 1 bucket, other buckets with the same name will be created but will be empty.
- New Bucket creation in the existing projects (re-migration): due to API limitations it is not possible to create new buckets in the existing projects, all tasks from new buckets will be created in any existing one.
- Users themselves are not migrated from the source to the target tenant. Necessary users, whose task assignments need to be migrated, should already exist in the target tenant. The source users should be mapped with the target users in the User Mapping section for the correct assignment migration. Source and target users with different Display Names and accounts can be mapped, it is not required for them to fully match.
- Task user assignments will be migrated if the source users are mapped to the corresponding target users. Mapped users, assigned to tasks, will be added:
- as members to the corresponding target Project, Project Team;
- as members to the target Microsoft 365 group (only if source user assigned to plan task is mapped with target user that is O365 user).
- Dynamics bookable resource.
- Maximum total resources for a project is 150: if there are more than 150 unique assignments in one plan only 150 assignments will be added and others will be skipped.
- Maximum 20 users can be assigned to one task in Project. If there are already any users assigned to an existing task in the target Project, that is updated during the migration, user assignments from the source item will be added to the task up to 20 users in total. Other source user assignments to that task will be skipped.
- Maximum 15 attachments, files, and links in total can be added to one Project task. All file attachments from the source task will be migrated and added to the task folder on the group SharePoint site in the target tenant. However, if there are already any attachments added to an existing task in the target Project, that is updated during the migration, file and link attachments from the source item will be added to the task up to 15 attachments in total. Other attachments for that task will be skipped.
- File and SharePoint attachments will be downloaded from the source site and uploaded to the corresponding target group site if the attachments are stored in the Shared Documents (‘Documents’) folder on the source SharePoint site of the group where the migrated Plan belongs to. Otherwise, the file or SharePoint attachment will not be migrated to the target group site, but the link to such an attachment in the source tenant will be added to a task note in the target Project.
- Due to technical limitations attachments will not be added to the Task Attachments section, links to attachments will be added to Task Notes.
Microsoft 365 Group and Project Creation
- If the migration is performed to an existing Microsoft 365 group(s), the Project connection account should be a member or an owner of that group.
- The target Project connection account should be an owner and a member of an existing Private Microsoft 365 group to be able to add members to it during the migration (in case the account is not Global Admin in the target tenant).
- Source Microsoft 365 groups can be migrated only for the selected Plans and using ‘Create groups with source group names and settings’ group creation mode. Using another group creation mode, target groups will be created or updated during the migration without preserving the source group settings.
- Microsoft 365 group Privacy setting is migrated if ‘Create groups with source group names and settings’ group creation mode is selected and a target group(s) is created during the migration.
- Microsoft 365 group settings are migrated if ‘Create groups with source group names and settings’ group creation mode is selected and a target group(s) is created during the migration. The source group mail nickname will be preserved as well. The settings and mail nicknames of an existing target group will not be changed. In case another group creation mode is selected, source Microsoft 365 group settings and mail nickname will not be migrated.
- If new Microsoft 365 groups are created during the migration, the target Project migration account will be set as the group owner and member.
- All source group owners can be migrated to the target group if the Migrate all source group members and owners’ option is selected for the migration, and the corresponding users are mapped. If not selected, ownership of a created group will be set to the target Project migration account used for creating the group(s) and Projects. Other source group owners will not be set for the target group.
- All source group members can be migrated to the target group if the Migrate all source group members and owners’ option are selected for the migration, and the corresponding users are mapped. If not selected, only mapped users that are assigned to tasks in the migrated Plan(s) will be added as members to the corresponding Microsoft 365 group in the target tenant.
- Maximum 250 Microsoft 365 groups can be created with a non-admin user account in the Microsoft 365 tenant. Only that number of groups will be created during the migration that will fit the limit of total 250 groups together with the existing groups previously created by that user.
- If ‘Create groups using Projects names’ or ‘Create groups with source group names and settings’ and ‘Create new or merge with existing Projects’ migration settings are selected, and there are existing Projects and groups in the target Project that have the same names as the migrated ones, new Projects will not be created, but their data will be merged to the existing Projects with the matching names. If ‘Create all Projects in one group’ and ‘Create new or merge with existing Projects’ migration settings are selected, and there are existing Projects in the specified Microsoft 365 group that have the same names as the migrated ones, the data from such Plans will be merged to the existing Projects with the matching names.
- If the ‘Create new and remove existing Projects before creating’ migration setting is selected, and there are existing Projects with names that match the selected source Plan names in the target Project for the web, such target projects will be removed together with all their tasks before creating new Projects with the same names.
- If you are migrating within the same Tenant and select the ‘Create groups using source group names and settings’ M365 Group Creation mode, the same groups will not be duplicated, re-created or updated, Projects will be created in the existing groups.