In this article, we will review the known limitations for Monday.com -> Project for the web migration scenario.
1. Schedule mode: It is recommended to use the Fixed Duration schedule mode in Project for the web to migrate data as accurately as possible.
2. Maximum total number of tasks for a project is 1000: if there are more than 1000 tasks in a Board only 1000 will be migrated, and others will be skipped.
3. Maximum total duration for a project is 3650 working days (10 years): If the difference between the earliest source task start date and the latest source task due date is more than 3650 working days then:
Project Start Date will be set to the date 3650 working days from the Project Finish Date;
Project Finish Date will be set to the latest source task due date.
4. Same Bucket names: all tasks from such buckets will be migrated to 1 bucket, other buckets with the same name will be created but will be empty.
5. New Bucket creation in the existing projects (re-migration): due to API limitations it is not possible to create new buckets in the existing projects, all tasks from new buckets will be created in any existing one.
1. Board Subtasks are also migrated as subtasks to the same project bucket, task hierarchy will be preserved in the target project.
2. Summary Tasks data is not migrated, calculated automatically based on their sub-tasks (if a source summary task has assignments, they will not be added to the target summary task, etc.).
3. Source task dependencies will be preserved in the target Project if the dependency task is supported in P4W (Dependent On type). The following types are not supported:
- if a task depends on a task from another project
- if a summary task depends on its child
- if a child task depends on its summary task
Such dependencies will be skipped. Dates of tasks with dependency can be moved if it is not possible to set the dates as in the source.
4. If there are no dates on tasks in the source:
- if a task has no dates but has dependency it will be migrated with the dates, they will be calculated automatically based on the dependency.
5. Tasks dates that are out of project range (Start and Finish):
- If both dates are out of project range, the dates will not be set.
- If one date is out of the project range, the second date will be set to the one that is within the project range.
6. Maximum duration of each task is 1250 working days: If the source task has (difference between start and due date) > 1250 working days range then the target task Start Date will be set to the same as the target Task Finish Date.
7. Supported date range for a task is from 1/1/2000 to 12/31/2149: if the source task dates are set to the dates that are out of the supported range then target task dates will be set to:
- if both dates are less than 1/1/2000, dates will not be set;
- if one date is less than 1/1/2000 and the second date > 1/1/2000, both dates will be set to the date > 1/1/2000.
8. 1 date tasks: if the source task in the Board has only a start or due date, such task will be migrated with both dates to the target project, the date that is not set in the source task will be the same as the one that is set.
9. Weekends: The dates will be moved to the previous or next possible working day according to the target calendar.
10. Target Task Custom Fields will be available for the Item Field Mapping, and the option for creating new target custom fields will be shown if the Custom Fields and Attachments (PSS) token is provided for Project for the Web connection.
11. Maximum of 10 custom fields in total can be created in one Project for the Web project.
12. Maximum 25 Labels can be added to a Project in P4W. If there are more than 25 Labels in the source Board, only the first 25 Labels will be migrated to the target Project and set to their tasks in correspondence with the source, and others will be skipped. You can migrate source data to Labels if the Custom Fields and Attachments (PSS) token is provided for Project for the Web connection.
1. Users themselves are not migrated from the source to the target tenant. Necessary users, whose task assignments need to be migrated, should already exist in the target tenant. The source users should be mapped with the target users in the User Mapping section for the correct assignment migration. Source and target users with different Display Names and accounts can be mapped, it is not required for them to fully match.
2. Item user assignments will be migrated if the source users are mapped to the corresponding target users. Mapped users, assigned to Board items, will be added:
- as members of the corresponding target Project, Project Team;
- as members of the target Microsoft 365 group (only if a source user assigned to a board item is mapped with a target user that is an Office365/Active Directory user).
- as Dynamics bookable resources.
3. Team assignments – separate user from the source Team that is assigned to a source item will be assigned to the target task on condition they are mapped. Separate users will be added to the Project Team, Microsoft 365 group, and as bookable resources.
4. Maximum total number of resources for a project is 150: if there are more than 150 unique assignments on one Board only 150 assignments will be added, and others will be skipped.
5. Maximum of 20 users can be assigned to one task in a Project for the Web project. If there are more than 20 user assignments on one source item, assignments will be added to the target task up to 20 users. Other source user assignments to that task will be skipped.
1. Maximum of 15 attachments, files, and links in total can be added to one Project task. All file attachments from the source item will be migrated and added to the task folder on the group SharePoint site in the target tenant. However, file and link attachments from the source item will be added to the task up to 15 attachments in total. Other attachments for that task will be skipped.
2. File attachments (from the Computer) will be downloaded from the source and uploaded to the corresponding target group site.
3. Monday Workdoc attachment type is not supported for migration.
4. Attachments from the Item Updates and Info Boxes are not migrated.
5. Attachments are migrated to the Attachments task section if the Custom Fields and Attachments token is provided for the Project for the Web connection. If the token is not provided, all attachments will be added as links to the task Notes.
Microsoft 365 Group and Project Creation
1. If the migration is performed to an existing Microsoft 365 group(s), the Project connection account should be a member or an owner of that group.
2. The target Project connection account should be an owner and a member of an existing Private Microsoft 365 group to be able to add members to it during the migration (in case the account is not Global Admin in the target tenant).
3. Source Workspaces can be used for creating target Microsoft 365 groups for the projects with the ‘Create groups with source Workspace names’ group creation mode.
4. Microsoft 365 groups will be created as Public ones.
5. All Boards – Public, Private, and Shareable – will be migrated to the public Microsoft 365 group(s). If it is necessary to migrate projects to Private Microsoft 365 groups, they should be created in the target tenant before the migration, and the corresponding Migration Settings should be selected to create the projects in the existing Private Microsoft 365 group(s). Alternatively, the group Privacy may be changed as needed after the migration.
6. If new Microsoft 365 groups are created during the migration, the target Project migration account will be set as the group owner and member.
7. The Project for Web migration account will be set as Project Manager and the user that has created projects (Created by). If the project exists, the project manager and created by will not be changed.
8. Users that are source Board Owners will be added to the target M365 group owners if they are Active in the source. Users with the Pending status will not be added as Owners.
Users that are source Board Members/Subscribers and Guests will be added as members to the target M365 group.
9. Maximum 250 Microsoft 365 groups can be created with a non-admin user account in the Microsoft 365 tenant. Only that number of groups will be created during the migration that will fit the limit of total of 250 groups together with the existing groups previously created by that user.
10. If the ‘Create new or merge with existing Projects’ migration setting is selected, and there are existing Projects and groups in the target Project for the Web that have the same names as the migrated ones, new Projects will not be created, but their data will be merged to the existing Projects with the matching names.
11. If the ‘Create new and remove existing Projects before creating’ migration setting is selected, and there are existing Projects with names that match the selected source Board names in the target Project for the web, such target projects will be removed together with all their tasks before creating new Projects with the same names.