In this article, we will review the notes and limitations of the Asana -> Project for Web migration.
Microsoft 365 Group and Project Creation
1. Now all target Microsoft 365 groups will be created as Public ones during the migration. If the migration is performed to the existing Microsoft 365 group(s), their Privacy setting will not be changed.
2. All Asana Projects – Public to Team or Private – will be migrated to the public Microsoft 365 group(s).
If it is necessary to migrate projects to Private Microsoft 365 group(s) groups, they should be created in the target tenant before the migration, and the corresponding Migration Settings should be selected to create the migrated projects in the existing Private Microsoft 365 group(s). Alternatively, the group Privacy may be changed as needed after the migration.
3. If the migration is performed to an existing Microsoft 365 group(s), the Project for Web connection account should be a member or an owner of that group.
4. Mapped users that are Members in the Workspace or Teams for the selected Projects (but are not added to the Project Members) are added as members to the corresponding target Microsoft 365 group if the ‘Migrate all source Workspace/Team members’ migration option is selected.
5. Maximum 250 Microsoft 365 groups can be created with a non-admin user account in the Microsoft 365 tenant. Only that number of groups will be created during the migration that will fit the limit of total of 250 groups together with the existing groups previously created by that user.
6. If new Microsoft 365 groups and are created during the migration, the Project for Web migration account will be set as the group owner and member.
7. The Project for Web migration account will be set as Project Manager and the user that has created projects (Created by). If the project exists, the project manager and created by will not be changed.
8. If ‘Create groups using Project names’ or ‘Create groups using source workspace names’ and ‘Create new or merge with existing Projects’ migration settings are selected, and there are existing Project in Project for Web that have the same names as the migrated Projects, new Projects will not be created for such Projects, but their data will be merged to the existing Project with the matching names.
If ‘Create all Projects in one group’ and ‘Create new or merge with existing Projects’ migration settings are selected, and there are existing Projects in the specified Microsoft 365 group that have the same names as the migrated Projects, the data from such projects will be merged to the existing Project with the matching names.
9. If the ‘Create new and remove existing Projects before creation’ migration setting is selected, and there are existing Projects with names that match the selected Project names in Project for Web, such Projects will be removed together with all their tasks before creating new Projects with the same names for the migrated Projects.
1. Schedule mode: It is recommended to use the Fixed Duration schedule mode in Project for the web to migrate data as accurately as possible.
2. Maximum total tasks for a project is 1000: if there are more than 1000 tasks in a project only 1000 will be migrated, others will be skipped.
3. Maximum total duration for a project is 3650 working days (10 years): If the difference between the earliest source task start date and the latest source task due date is more than 3650 working days then:
a) Project Start Date will be set to the date 3650 working days from the Project Finish Date;
b) Project Finish Date will be set to the latest source task due date.
4. Tasks dates that are out of project range (Start and Finish):
a) If both dates are out of project range, the dates will not be set.
b) If one date is out of the project range, the second date will be set to the one that is within the project range.
1. Project Subtasks are also migrated as subtasks to the same bucket, task hierarchy will be preserved.
2. Summary Tasks data: is not migrated, calculated automatically based on their sub-tasks (if source summary task has assignments they will not be added to target summary task, the total effort can be different from source total works).
3. Source task dependencies will be preserved in the target Project if dependency task is supported in P4W. The following types are not supported:
- if task depends on task from another project
- if summary task depends on its child
- if child task depends on its summary
Such dependencies will be skipped.
Dates of tasks with dependency can be moved if it is not possible to set the dates as in the source.
4. 1 date tasks: if the source task has only start or due date, such task will be migrated with both dates to the target project, the date that is not set in the source task will be the same as the one that is set.
5. If there are no dates on tasks in the source:
a. if a task has no dates but has dependency it will be migrated with dates, dates will be calculated automatically.
6. Weekends: The dates moved to the next possible date according to the target calendar.
7. Maximum duration of each task is 1250 working days: If the source task has (difference between start and due date) > 1250 working days range then target task Start Date will be set to the same as target Task Finish Date.
8. Supported date range for a task is from 1/1/2000 to 12/31/2149: if the source task dates are set to the dates that are out of supported range then target task dates will be set to:
a) if both dates are less than 1/1/2000, dates will not be set;
b) if one date is less than 1/1/2000 and the second date > 1/1/2000, both dates will be set to the date > 1/1/2000.
9. If an Asana account is on the Free plan or the trial plan has expired, the custom field values are not available for migration as the custom fields are locked in the Free plan. The existing custom fields from the selected Projects will be available for the task field mapping, but they will be skipped during the migration.
10. Maximum 25 Labels can be added to a Project in P4W. If there are more than 25 Labels in the source Asana Project, only the first 25 Labels will be migrated to the target Project and set to their tasks in correspondence with the source, and others will be skipped. You can migrate source data to Labels if the Custom Fields and Attachments (PSS) token is provided for Project for the Web connection.
1. Users themselves are not migrated from the source to the target tenant. Necessary users, whose task assignments need to be migrated, should already exist in the target tenant. The source users should be mapped with the target users in the User Mapping section for the correct assignment migration. Source and target users with different Display Names and accounts can be mapped, it is not required for them to fully match.
2. Mapped users, assigned to tasks and subtasks, added to the task and subtask Collaborators in the source Projects, Project Owner, and Project Members (both with the Edit and Comment only access) will be added as members to the corresponding target Microsoft 365 group during the migration.
3. Task user assignments will be migrated if the source users are mapped to the corresponding target users. Mapped users, assigned to tasks, will be added:
a) as members to the corresponding target Project, Project Team;
b) Dynamics bookable resource.
c) Project Owner will be also added to the O365 group as a member.
d) Sync account will be also added to the O365 group as owner and member.
4. Maximum total resources for a project is 150: if there are more than 150 unique assignments in one project only 150 assignments will be added and others will be skipped.
5. Maximum 20 users can be assigned to one task in Project. If there are more than 20 resources assigned to a task in the source Project, assignments will be added to the task up to 20 resources in total. Other source resource assignments to that task will be skipped.
Attachments are migrated to the Attachments task section if the Custom Fields and Attachments token is provided for the Project for the Web connection. If the token is not provided, all attachments will be added as links to the task Notes. In both cases all file attachments from the source task will be migrated and added to the task folder on the group SharePoint site in the target tenant.
If the token is used:
1. Maximum 15 attachments, Files, and Links in total, can be added to one Project task. All item attachments will be migrated to the target system, and files from the source item will be added to the item folder on the group SharePoint site. However, only 15 attachments will be added to a task in Project, and others will be skipped.
2. If there are already any attachments added to an existing task in the target Project, that is updated during the migration, file and link attachments from the source item will be added to the task up to 15 attachments in total. Other attachments for that task will be skipped.