How to copy project schedules and sites from one PWA to another
This article describes how to use the G.A. Suite Copying module, in order to copy project schedules and SharePoint Sites from one PWA to another.
1. On the G.A. Suite Home Page click on the environment which you would like to use as a source of PWA Configuration copy. Click Change Management and select the Copy option.
2. The Copy page will be opened. This page includes the list of all copying operations launched for the selected environment if any. You can use views and filters to sort the copying operation on the page and find the required operation if needed.
To launch the copying process, click on the Copy now option.
Copy Now window will be opened. Review and edit the required information here by clicking on the pencil-like button next to each section.
- Source location - check that the source PWA URL is correct.
- Notification Email - specify the email, where the notification will be sent on completion.
Source credentials - Provide specific credentials, if needed, and validate them. Multi-factor Authentication for Office 365 users is also available.
Please note: By default G.A. Suite uses the credentials which were provided when adding PWA to G.A. Suite. These credentials are stored and may be found on the Credentials Manager or Credentials page. If for some reason you would like G.A. Suite to use a different set of credentials, use this option.
You can add multiple credentials to perform the operation and add more accounts to the accounts list.
In case of any issues with an account (permissions or access lost; password expired) during G.A. Suite operation processing, another one will be used to successfully complete the operation. Also, using the Multiple credentials option makes G.A. Suite performance faster.
Target location - the PWA configuration will be copied to the selected PWA.
Please make sure the required PWA is added to your G.A. Suite tenant and licensed.
- Target credentials - provide target specific credentials if you need to use different credentials from the ones provided in the Environment Settings.
- PWA Configuration - click on the pencil-like button to select the configuration you need to upload to the target PWA now if required.
3. Next it is possible to select specific Project Plans or SharePoint sites for copying:
Project Plans - click on the pencil-like button to select the projects you need to upload to the target PWA now:
All - choosing this radio-button all projects will be copied over from the source PWA to the target.
Modified - choosing this radio-button you will be able to copy only those Project Plans which were modified in the selected period of time - last 2, 3,4 days, etc.
By View - if you select this radio-button, you need to specify the Project Online view name from your PWA. Only those Projects Plans, which fall under the specified view will be selected for copying.
Selected - this option will allow selecting some specific projects only.
Click on the number link to choose the needed projects.
As you click on the number link, the Project Plans window will be opened and all Projects from the source PWA will be loaded to this window at once. You can filter the projects by 'View' or by 'Modified date' if needed using the filters on the top of this window. When the required filter is selected, the projects list will be loaded from the PWA into the Project Plans page according to the selected filter.
4. Select the projects you need to upload to the target PWA.
Please note: If you need to select the projects from different Project Center views, it is also possible. Select the required view, check the checkboxes of the required projects. Then open the next view and select the projects that you need to include in this operation from this view as well. You will then see the total number of the selected projects by clicking on the Selected button that shows the number of projects that are currently selected for the current operation.
The Total Items button allows reviewing all projects that are loaded to the Project Plans screen.
Also, the projects can be additionally filtered out by the Project name, % Complete, Type, EPT, Modified fields, using the button next to each field. You can provide the filtering criteria there to get faster to the projects you need.
5. As soon as the required projects are selected, please click the 'Add selected' button.
6. Click Save to save the selection.
7. SharePoint Sites - click on the pencil-like button to select the sites you need to upload to the target PWA now:
For Selected projects - choosing this option will copy only the Project Sites for the projects selected above.
Modified - choosing this radio-button you will be able to copy only those SharePoint Sites which were modified in the selected period of time - last 2, 3,4 days, etc.
Selected - as mentioned above, this option allows to choose particular sites.
Don't delete Sites/Projects before upload - select this option, if you don't need to remove projects and their sites selected for upload from the target PWA before upload. (Projects with the same name and/or project UID will be deleted if the check box is not checked. The projects and sites will be deleted in the same way as you delete them manually).
Copy Document Versions - select this option if you need to migrate the document version history.
Delete Document Versions Before Upload - check this checkbox if these documents already exist on the target PWA. It is not possible to overwrite document versions using G.A. Suite. To upload the document versions to the target PWA, it is required to remove the existing documents from the target PWA.
Please note: If this option is on, only the documents that are selected for upload will be deleted from the target PWA, all other documents will not be deleted.
Please note: To upload document versions, the document versioning should be enabled on the target PWA. On the target PWA, open the list or library that you want to enable versioning => select Settings => Library Settings => on the Settings page, select Versioning settings => set the settings as required => select OK. If the versioning is not enabled, the last version only will be upload by G.A. Suite.
Please note: Document ID field values and values of the "Modified By" field are currently not migrated.
8. Click Copy now to begin the copying process.
Copy summary screen will be opened where you can review the information for the launched operation. You can Cancel and Pause the operation if required.
9. Click Close to return to the Copy page.
The operation will appear on the Copy page at once and you can track progress here.